Thursday, August 13, 2009

Asthma Exacerbation



I had just worked a shift at the hospital yesterday when I came home and noticed Jason looking exhausted--all the kids were coughing and had runny noses. Normally this is no big deal--however, when you have a child with severe asthma (Nathan), this can trigger something scary. That is exactly what happened, too--I listened to Nathan with my stethescope and became immediately alarmed. Thankfully our pediatrician, Dr. Miller, was running an after-hours clinic on this same night. I took Nathan to be seen by him, and his oxygen saturation on room air was 86%. Despite two albuterol treatments with a nebulizer in the office, Nathan's oxygen saturation would not go up--so he was admitted to the hospital.


Currently we are still here. It's been 24 hours now, but he is doing better thanks to breathing treatments, steroid/anti-inflammatory medications for his lungs, oxygen and lots of TLC from these pediatric nurses. We will probably be able to go home in the morning.


Thank you, family and friends, for all your kind words, prayers and thoughts. Special thanks to Amber for making our family dinner tonight! :)


6 comments:

Maria said...

Poor little guy! I hope he gets feeling better soon.

brunger bunch said...

I hope he gets better soon, and mom and dad get some rest too!!

The Allreds said...

I hated seeing Nathan all hooked up! I hope you all recover and that darn asthma gives him a break! hugs to you!

bjb said...

I am sorry you had to go through that! You told me about it but I am just getting around to looking at your blog!

Nathan- don't scare your mom like that!

trudihyer said...

When will your life settle down, it seems like you go from one crisis (camper incident) to another. Wish I would have been there to help. I didn't even know it happened until after the fact, not a very good neighbor, huh? Hope you know that if you have any more excitement and need help, call me. You are great! We miss Nathan in our car pool. (hint, hint). I hope he does well at Spring Lake

Mom said...

Wendy, I look at all your pictures and I just get so homesick for all of you. I always just want to sell everything and get the heck out of Indiana. It's so hard to be away from you!