Thursday, July 15, 2010

Unique gift

John Wooden said, "You cannot live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."

That being said, sometimes my patient's families try to "give back" for care given to their loved one. I have some nice notes and cards from patients or their family members that I treasure--Funny thing is, I feel honored caring for THEM!

One of the most unique gifts I received from a patient's wife was this:



When she gave it to me, she told me it was a "soap apron." I thanked her profusely despite not knowing what on earth it was.

I didn't understand how it worked for the longest time until I had to buy a bottle of dishsoap.

It all makes sense now!


Lastly, I know this looks like just a plate of cookies (I hid the last name due to privacy laws), but they are special. These cookies were from a patient who had a horrible stroke, spent a lot of time recovering, went to rehab, and before discharge, made the cookies HERSELF despite her weakened left side. We truly bonded--I made her laugh by doing an "IV POLE DANCE." It was crazy--and she loved it. Whatever it takes.

1 comment:

BiLlY, sAm, AnD bOyS!!! said...

You are an amazing nurse! I bet the pole dance just made her day! Your the best wendy! Hope you realize that!