I believe in going with my gut instinct.
It has truly benefited me more as a nurse then anything I learned in nursing school.
Recently, I had to use it for MYSELF.
While I work in what is considered to be one of the critical care areas of the hospital, my goal was to spend one year on this area to gain experience, then transfer to the ICU where I worked five years before becoming a nurse.
I saw a position on the ICU. I applied and I got it. I accepted.
That is when that "gut instinct" kicked in. Something wasn't right--for some odd reason, I wasn't supposed to go at this time.
It didn't make since. I have taken all the critical care courses the hospital offers, became Trauma certified and obtained a certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Strokes. I precepted a nursing student and helped train new staff.
I was ready, or so I thought.
After much debate, tears shed, prayers sent--I have decided to delay taking the ICU position. I don't understand why, but I know it's right.
My current manager has asked me to be a charge nurse on our floor and to train on the ICU at a nearby hospital.
So, I guess that is what I am supposed to do.
The ICU manager was amazing when I talked to her about what I was feeling. She said she will take me when I feel it's right for ME. What a neat manager--the fact that she was so understanding.
I'll return there very soon...I just know it.
There is just more for me to learn on the floor I'm on at this time.
My plan isn't always HIS plan.
But I'm going with my gut instinct and doing what I need to do.
The ICU is in my future...And I will continually prepare myself for that day.
In the meantime, I'm still working on my bachelors degree and I'll start training as a charge nurse. I continue to do my traveling nursing gig and I love it.
After a year and a half of being a nurse, I like the road I am on and the direction it is going.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
You are a brave woman. It's so hard to go with your gut. You are right, things always work out the way they are supposed to, even if we don't understand the "why" right away.
You are an amazing person! You are going to be an awesome ICU nurse when the time is right. I hope you enjoy your new duties as a charge nurse.
Post a Comment